Wednesday 25 May 2016

MAC's VIBE TRIBE Collection Controversy

Although it is not pleasant for me to say, over the past couple of weeks, MAC has been at the forefront of news in the beauty industry due to the controversy around the company's new summer collection - VIBE TRIBE.




Apart from being an immensely aesthetically pleasing collection in my opinion - starting from the colour shades of the lipsticks and eye-shadows, to the beautifully-designed brush cases and product exterior, it never crossed my mind to think about the effect the visuals representing the collection would have on those who might relate to the word 'tribe' on an emotional level. More so since MAC's motto is All ages. All races. All sexes. 

MAC fans who took offence from this took to social media to criticize the company and accuse them of cultural appropriation: 

"I'm really grossed out by the fact that they'll be benefiting from Native designs and 'vibes,' and I don't imagine any of the proceeds will be going to any of the First Nations, and I'd be surprised if there were any Native models in their ad campaigns," a user wrote. "My personal history is tribal, and it's not just a cute design for me, it's my culture. And my culture is dying, my people are dying, and it's because of a history of mass genocide and forced sterilization and plagues and poverty and broken treaties — and it actually hurts to imagine that someday, the word 'tribe' might live on on the faceplate of some MAC cosmetic, long after the last native speaker of the NimiĆ­puu is gone."

The company on the other hand stated that the main inspirations behind the collection were art, outdoor music festivals, and the colours of the desert. Moreover, the company denied any connection between the VIBE TRIBE collection and Native American cultures. 

My opinion on this controversy: had I not read about it on the internet, I would have never thought that there would be anyone who would take offence from such a make-up collection. It could be that since it does not affect me directly, I find no objection since upon looking at the packaging of the products as well as the advertising campaigns and visuals to promote this collection, there is nothing offensive about them. Another reason for me being oblivious to the potential occurrence of this situation is the fact that I (and I dare say the majority of people) am used to references to tribal cultures being made in a similar manner to how they are portrayed in MAC's promotional campaign.

This goes to show and confirm what I have written in my literature review with regards to people connecting with products on an emotional level. Even though ideally the connection is a positive one, and one with the aim of attracting customers and subconsciously giving them a reason to purchase a particular product, the connection could turn into a negative one. The consequences of this could be similar to what happened to MAC: being called out on the internet. Unfortunately it could also cause a loyal fan to distance him/herself from the company, or even drive away a potential customer.

This is a pure example of how a company can lose a loyal customer as quickly as it can gain one.